Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Mean Machine


I don't have much time for talkin' today but have a backlog of music to post so I thought I'd get right to it. This album is atypical McGriff--he doesn't even play organ on it, mostly Rhodes and Clavinet--and although it's named Jimmy McGriff with Joe Thomas, it really should be filed under Brad Blake, the head arranger's name. (I'd say Sonny Lester but according to Melvin Sparks Lester just read the paper throughout his sessions and then said "good job" after the musicians played).

Anyway, it's a fun one, more of a 70s movie soundtrack than a jazz album for sure. The string arrangements are pretty awesome and it's fabulously dated; I know it makes me think of cops, but I'm not really sure if the cop is going to get out and arrest someone or get out and start taking a girl's clothes off...

Link is in the comments, if you're going to download it, say something for yourself. The last couple posts have had about 70 takers and only a couple of comments.

9 comments:

Bill Carbone said...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RHK5XBJB

Slidewell said...

I love that pimp-adelic 70's sound! If this one has some of that Stump Juice vibe, I'm a happy B3 fan.

musicposts said...

i see the title and immediately think burt reynolds in the longest yard

avocado kid said...

looks like you and soundological are on the same wavelength this week...

http://soundological.blogspot.com/2008/08/jimmy-mcgriff-mean-machine.html

Michael said...

Thank you!

Bill Carbone said...

wow soundological is a great blog - thanks for the tip

Anonymous said...

Thanx a lot for this gem

modernist02 said...

what a great album! I got the orginal LP at home! This is bad funky stuff!! Brad Baker rules!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! i was looking for some melvin sparks lp and i found that place! Great! i love both, car chases and lovethemes, thats right! Thanks a lot.