Friday, August 15, 2008

A Couple More along the Jamaica-China lines...

There has been a large Chinese presence in the Caribbean since the mid-1800s (the colonizers needed new cheap labor after West Africa was no longer an acceptable route), so naturally quite a few singers have weighed in on Caribbean-Asian women. Again, in honor of the Olympics, I thought we'd hear what Nicodemus and Yellowman had to say.

Nicodemus died in 1996 at the age of 39. How I do not know. I tried to find more info but failed. If anyone's got some, put it in the comments please, I'd love to know. This is a great 12" called "It Have fe Ram" with about 4 minutes of Nicodemus and 1 1/2 of dub at the end. Great stuff.

Yellowman on the other hand we know quite a bit about. His official website has his story, and I'll actually have a little piece about him coming out in a local newspaper next week too (probably be up there by Tuesday the 19). This tune, "Mr. Chin," is outlandish, hilarious, totally wrong, did I mention hilarious?

No comments: