Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Couple of Foundational Organists in Honor of Vinyl Day

Today is vinyl record day (I just found out myself, thanks to the great post on "The Hits Just Keep on Comin" and "Flea Market Funk"). To celebrate I thought I'd post a couple of albums from the first generation of great B3 organists.

Wild Bill Davis first convinced a reluctant Louis Jordan to allow him to play organ in his group in the 1940s. It was a huge success and from that point on Davis was an organist. Davis, who could swing straight ahead and get pretty greasy on the B3, was Jimmy Smith's inspiration in his transition from piano to B3. He kept swinging until he passed in 1995 at the age of 77.

This 1961 album, One More Time, finds Davis in the company of always fiery organ accompanist Grady Tate (drums) and guitarist Bill Jennings. There's a little exotic travel theme going on with many of the tunes (a la Sinatra - I guess people dug that back then but I've got to ask: did Americans ever live in fear of hearing the "Hawaiian War Chant"?), and some of Davis's organ sounds make me think of hot dogs and Cracker Jacks (and the Yankees losing yet again, but I'll save that rant for another blog), but on the other hand, some of his sounds are downright powerful and one can see how Mr. Davis turned the ivory-ticklin' world upside down when he dropped his first long notes on Jordan's band. My favorite track here is definitely "African Waltz."

Next up is organist Jack McDuff's first commercial recording, an organ/guitar/vox n' harmonica trio with the blues singer Shakey Jake. It's great stuff, even sans drums. I don't have too many words of wisdom about it other than it's a window into the not-so-rigidly-defined music life of African-American instrumentalists in the mid-20th century. Though it might seem strange to jazz followers now if Wynton Marsalis went and recorded with Buddy Guy (or at the least it would be a corporate mega-production stripped of spontaneity most likely), back then people just played with people for the most part.

Links in the comments.

6 comments:

Bill Carbone said...

Shakey Jake and Jack McDuff
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=415L1I5Y

Wild Bill Davis "One More Time"
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5YEGR0QT

Michael Verity said...

Just learned about your site through Hits Just Keep Comin' -- like what you're doing, added you to my blogroll. Welcome aboard. Music Junkie at Fusion 45

StegnerFan said...

Good heavens! Jack Mcduff!

Organists unite...
B3 I really appreciate the work you are doing. Mcduff's "Shadow of your Smile" is the heaviest organ cut I've ever heard.

B3, Do you have a B3? I only have an M3 and a Story and Clark from the 70s, but the Story and Clark has a Leslie which is pretty swell.

Praises.

Bill Carbone said...

Hey Gorgon Jr.
To be honest, I'm a drummer! I had a Hammond not-B3 for a while and learned a few tunes, and someday I will get some chops on it, but for now I'm on the skins!

I love the B3 though. As a drummer, nothing is more fun to play with in jazz (a big fat ampeg bass stack in reggae is another story though). The organ just juices it all up.

Anonymous said...

thanks for this one. also good macduff lp is gin and orange.
very corny but a very faul sound. if you come across that one. also very thankful
ciao, Spoeter

Anonymous said...

hi and greetings from downtown brunswick - a few clicks from melbourne's cbd...just lovin this gene ammons, it is complete gas...the vinyl hiss and crackles just add to the magic...wow...been listening to gene ammons all night and found your site...thanksamillion
best wishes
nasty nigel