Monday, August 11, 2008

Jonnny Lytle - The Soulful Rebel


Just a Monday afternoon quicky here: a moderately great session led by the tragically overlooked Johnny Lytle. This isn't my favorite of his recordings but it certainly isn't bad, and Miloramona over at anythingbuttherecords.blogspot.com had it up as a request so I thought I'd throw it up here.

It's early 70's jazz funk, replete with scratchy guitar and funky drums and the obligatory percussion of the 1970s (those were good years to be a percussionist man!). Though my tone probably doesn't make you want to run it right down don't be fooled, the album is certainly worth a listen!

Link is in the comments, please leave one too!

13 comments:

Bill Carbone said...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LRPGFZ7J

enjoy!

Bill said...

I LOVE Johnny Lytle!!Thank you SOOO much!! Any chance of I GIGANTI DEL JAZZ,Swinging at the Gate or Done it again ??

miloramona said...

thanks for the post

ish said...

hey thanks!

Bill Carbone said...

Sorry bill, that's the only Lytle I've got on vinyl right now!

Michael said...

Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!

I am a huge Johnny Lytle fan, but I've got a few holes in my collection. I've got everything that was ever released on CD, but other stuff is more difficult to come by, especially when you're broke and so is your turntable! Some stuff has come out on blogs, like "People & Love," and some loose tunes like "Babo" from the European-only LP that Bill mentioned."Minor Soul," a track from the other LP Bill mentioned can be found on the Blue Note compilation "So Blue So Funky vol. 2." I had a couple of loose tracks from "The Soulful Rebel," and I am so grateful to now have a chance to hear the whole thing! You've really made my day!

Thanks again.

MFS Equipe ♪ said...

Fantastic!

BallforceOne said...

Thank you. Looking forward to listening to this!

Art Simon said...

So cool! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. Love the vibe of your blog and the vibes of Mr. Lytle.

Troglodyte said...

Must Have!!!!!!!!

Thanks

jazzobsessive said...

Hi there.

Just diggin' in the crates for Johnny
Lytles Music I haven't heard before.

Didn't know this one so lovin it & the clicks & scratches!!

Thank you for sharing.