Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Walk On By

Happy day everyone. It's that time of year: the kids are heading back to school (that includes me, cracking the book on 20th grade....), a few trees' leaves are starting to turn, my beloved Yankees are fixing to miss out on October baseball for the first time since I was a teenager. But I'm going to power through all that and focus on all the good things in the world like my family, Internet poker, and, of course, Jack McDuff.

This one isn't his greatest, but it's certainly far from his worst. Walk On By finds the good Captain with his mid-60s quartet of Joe Dukes on drums (perhaps the most tragically overlooked drummer in jazz history), Pat Martino on guitar, and either Red Holloway or Harold Ousley on sax. Several tracks are augmented with a big band that often takes away more than it adds with that sort of Price is Right meets Austin Powers type little ditty horn section stuff. Nonetheless, there are a few mighty fine burners on here.

Link in comments

6 comments:

Bill Carbone said...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4T84939J

Bill said...

Yet another Good`Un ! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

download is not working.

Anonymous said...

Now it's working.

avocado kid said...

hey! Another organ nugget.

Sorry i haven't been by for a while - i've been super busy with a project that's taking me to Japan, but I'm still looking forward to reading your thesis when I get a chance.

Guy Magic said...

I can't get enough, of Brotha McDuff.

Jack McDuff is one of my all time top B3 heros, thanks so much for sharing!